5 Ekim 2014 Pazar

Literacy Skills

To tell the truth, I was not well-prepared for the demands of my university when I started my university education. I have developed all literacies, general literacy, text literacy, computer literacy, distance learning literacy, cyber learning literacy, visual literacy, media literacy, during my university education. For example, I did not have any idea about cyber learning literacy and distance learning literacy. In the university, these concepts are introduced to us and now I have an opinion at least about what they are. Other literacies are more familiar to me because in high school my teachers gave importance to them. To illustrate, they showed a visual material and wanted the students to interpret it and say their ideas. Also, they used audio recordings, computer, texts in reading lessons etc. However, it was limited. I have developed my four language skills thanks to my university. By developing my skills, at the same time, I have learned literacies. Now, I am good at visual literacy because I like using visual materials both in my teaching and learning English; I am also good at general literacy since I can comprehend and decode information that I have and use it. As a prospective teacher, I think that teachers need to be familiar to all literacies but some of them (distance learning literacy, cyber learning literacy) may not be as important as others. I said this because I believe that students need some free time to make themselves happy. If I use cyber learning literacy, this means I can send quizzes, e-mails and important messages related to lessons anytime I want. So, students need to be online as much as possible to see my sending. I do not want to bother them with lessons and homework. I am a supporter of face-to- face education in classrooms.

3 yorum:

  1. Hi Beril! I agree with you on the sense that universities helps students to realize their literacy skills. Actuallu we are using cyber literacy skills right now. We are sharing our ideas by using internet. We learn from each other by sharing information. How do you think cyber literacy skills will develop in the following years? Do you think will we have to learn and use cyber learning literacy more often ? I look forward to reading your comments on that issue. Thank you :)

    YanıtlaSil
  2. Just like you, most of us were not equipped with the necessary skills to handle with the educational demands of a university. However, the university is a new era for each individual in terms of the perception of availability. This notion of availability enables us to learn any literacies that we can need not just for teaching area, but any professional area that we will be working in the future.

    YanıtlaSil
  3. Beril, the only thing that we may fail to agree is the idea that teachers need to be familiar to all literacies but some of them (distance learning literacy, cyber learning literacy) may not be as important as others. I totally get your reasons why you do not find it convenient, however, with the inevitable emergence and penetration of technology in education, I believe a teacher should be versatile. That is to say that they do not have to master these skills you mentioned, however, they should not lay less than enough emphasis on these skills. :) This is what I believe to be more useful for us.

    YanıtlaSil